How do I Eat for Health and Weight Loss
Choose Healthy Fats ~ Enjoy foods found close to Mother Nature like Pastured Eggs and Butter, Raw Whole Milk, Raw Cream, Cultured and Fermented Dairy, Cod Liver Oil, Grass-fed or at least Organic Meats, Poultry and Pork to get the nutrient power to improve cellular metabolism, fat burning and the Vitamins and Minerals (Celtic Sea Salt is a great source of minerals) needed to stop the flames of inflammation. Use 1-2 Tbsp of ground flax seed on foods and in smoothies.
Click on other Health Articles and Must-See Videos posted to help with your health goals.
Food Choices (Low Glycemic)
OPTIMAL NON-STARCHY VEGETABLE CHOICES
Meal and Snack Ideas
6. 3/4 cup cooked oats w/2 tbsp flaxseed meal (add after cooking) 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ C. fresh fruit with either a 1/3 c cottage cheese, plain yogurt or ½ C Kefir (to add more protein to this meal)
Combine in a Blender or Magic Bullet:
Eat optimal amounts of fat and protein at every meal to keep from getting catabolic & help maintain lean body mass. Add in Omega-3 rich foods (grass-fed meats, poultry from chickens eating grass, wild-caught fish, shellfish, eggs from pasture raised chickens, butter and milk from grass-fed cows, Nut-Butters, and Cod Liver Oil) into your diet to feed your body the substrates that produces your adrenal, sex & thyroid hormones.
Get an Oil Change! Eliminate highly processed, rancid, Vegetable Oils (Canola, Soy, Safflower, Corn, Grapeseed, Cottonseed, Sunflower) which are intolerant to heat and dangerous to health and cell communication. These modern Vegetable Oils contain Free-Radicals and contain toxic chemicals from the extreme processing they endure. Use Walnut, Flax Oil or Olive Oil for Salad Dressings and moderate-heat cooking. Liberally use Coconut Oil, Butter, Lard, and Bacon Fat, for high heat cooking. Palm Oil in foods is healthy. Use Peanut and Sesame oil in small quantities.
Enjoy healing teas in between meals such as green, white, ginger, licorice, roobois, ginseng, red clover, mint, lavender, nettles, or a combo of these herbs and teas.
Get 7-8 hours of deep sleep and aim to be in bed before 11pm to renew your hormones and keep your hunger balanced.
OPTIMAL PROTEIN CHOICES
(Eat at every meal)
Choose free-range, cage-free, grass fed and no hormone added sources whenever possible.
Chicken and Turkey (with the skin), Nitrate Free Sausage and Bacon,
Pastured Eggs, Organic Whole Milk, Cheese
Organic Whole Milk Yogurt (Greek is great, not low/non fat), Kefir
Wild-Cold Water Fish – sardines, salmon, halibut, cod, mackerel, tuna, Shellfish
Red meats (saturated fat), NZ Lamb (saturated fat), Game, Organ Meats,
Full Fat Cottage Cheese
Grass-Fed Whey Protein (include with Fats like Cream, Whole Milk, or Kefir)
OPTIMAL FAT CHOICES
(Enjoy some at every meal)
Dry Roasted Almonds or Pistachios or Macadamia Nuts
Freshly ground Flaxseed Meal
Organic Walnut Oil
Cod liver oil, Olive oil, Olives
Flaxseed oil, Avocado, Ghee
Coconut Milk or Oil, Palm Oil
Grass Fed Butter
Lard, Meat & Poultry Fats
Aim to eat some at every meal
Arugula Asparagus Bamboo shoots Bean sprouts Beet greens Bell peppers
Hearts of palm Jicama Jalapeno peppers Kale Kohlrabi Lettuce
Mushrooms Mustard greens Onions Parsley Radishes Radicchio
Snap beans Snow peas Shallots Spinach Spaghetti squash Summer squash
Swiss chard Tomatoes Turnip greens Watercress
, Sprouted or Dry Roasted Nuts and Seeds
HIGH FIBER STARCHY CARBOHYDRATE CHOICES
Limit these Carbohydrates for Weight Loss
If your goal is fat loss, limit servings.
(Keep Carb Count well under 100 grams)
Squash (acorn, butternut, winter), Artichokes, Leeks, Lima beans, Okra, Pumpkin
Sweet potato or yam, Turnip, Legumes; Black beans, Adzuki beans, Black beans
Chick peas (garbanzo), French Green Beans, Great Northern beans
Kidney beans, Lentils, Mung beans, Navy beans, Pinto beans, Split peas, White beans
Brown rice, Sprouted pasta, Sprouted Corn tortillas (1), Sprouted Grain Bread; Ezekiel bread (limit to 1 slice) Quinoa, Amaranth, Oatmeal
LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX (GI) FRUIT CHOICES
One serving = 1C berries, ½ cup other fruit;
aim to eat 1-2 servings/day
Low Glycemic Index & Best Choice Fruits
Berries (blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, elderberries, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries)
Moderate GI Cherries Pear Fresh apricots
Melons Orange Peach Plum Grapefruit Pitted Prunes Apples Avocados Kiwi fruit Lemons Limes Nectarines Tangerines Passion Fruit Persimmons Plums Pomegranates
High GI – eat sparingly, or after a workout
Banana Pineapple Grapes Watermelon Mango Papaya
1 serving = 8oz; Aim for 6-8 Cups of Filtered Water/Day
· Mineral water (Pellegrino) Green Tea/ Herb tea
· Regular or Decaf coffee/ Tea
· Coconut Water
1. 2 - 3 whole egg vegetable omelet w/1 C veggies: spinach, sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli,
2. 2-3oz beef patty, 1 C roasted peppers, handful of fresh spinach,
3. 1 cup cottage cheese or quality Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup berries & 2 tbsp flaxseed meal, 2 Tbsp walnuts
4. 1 slice of sprouted grain bread with or 1/3 C Egg / Salmon or Tuna Salad inc. plenty of herbs, celery and extra lettuce on bread
5. 1 - 2 Nitrate Free Sausage or Nitrate Free Bacon, 2 HB/soft cooked egg, 1 C fresh veggies 1 slice of sprouted grain bread (optional) w/ generous pastured butter
- ½ - ¾ Cup Plain (no sugar) Whole Milk Kefir or Whole Milk Yogurt or Raw Whole Milk
- 2 T of Raw or Pasteurized Cream (not ultra-pasteurized)
- 1/3C fresh/ frozen Berries (if fruit is fresh add a few ice-cubes)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- Add 1/3 C water (sparkling water works great), if needed
1. Chicken (with Skin), Turkey (dark meat is great), Bone-in Beef, Fish or Shellfish. 1 cup broccoli or Non-Starchy Vegetable + 1 cup mixed salad with seasoned wine vinegar and a healthy oil (olive oil, walnut oil, butter, or full fat cheese melted on veggies)
2. Soup/Salad Combo: 1 Cup of Chicken and Vegetable Soup & Mixed Green Salad w/ fresh greens and olive oil and vinegar dressing.
3. Nicoise salad with 2-3 oz of canned tuna, boiled egg, green beans, capers, cherry tomatoes, salad greens and Dijon vinaigrette
4. Bone in Steak and Veggies (Rib-Eye, Porterhouse, T-Bone, Chuck Roast) w/Grill Veggies; Asparagus, Cauliflower, Broccoli, or a Big Salad with lots of Veggies and Olive Oil Based Salad Dressing
5. Salad w/Chicken or Beef over a bed of mixed greens, tomatoes, avocadoes; Olive Oil Based Salad Dressing.
6. Mexican Restaurant - Beef or Chicken Tostada (don’t eat fried tortilla) - Ask for No Beans and you can use Avocado, Guacamole, Sour Cream, and lots of Salsa for Dressing or Olive Oil based Salad Dressing.
1. ½ cup berries, pear or apple & ¼ C dry roasted or sprouted nuts/seeds (almonds, pistachios, sunflower)
2. Celery & Carrots with Peanut Butter or Hummus
3. Hardboiled Egg, 1C Vegetable juice
4. 1 C. Full Fat Greek yogurt or Full Fat Cottage Cheese w/1 tbsp. Ground Flaxseed meal, 1/4C berries
5. Raw Cheese & 1 fistful of fresh fruit
6. A Handful of Dry Roasted Nuts or Sprouted Nuts
7. A smoothie (see recipe above)